The colorful history of Los Altos Hills dates from February,
1857 when Doña Juana Briones de Miranda sold Martin Murphy
2,900 acres known as the Taaffe Rancho. The town of Los Altos
Hills was incorporated on January 27, 1956. Present-day 8.4 square-miles
Los Altos Hills is almost entirely residential.
The LAHHS was founded in November, 1973 by Mrs. Florence M. Fava,
a descendant of the Tuck family that arrived in the Santa Clara
Valley in 1872. A resident of Los Altos Hills from 1959, Ms. Fava
also initiated the town's filing for Bicentennial status in 1974;
served as first Bicentennial chairperson; and worked on the Santa
Clara County Historical Task to compile a list of historical sites.
In 1974 she was nominated for a San Jose Mercury and News Woman
of Achievement Award.
next to Los Altos Hills Town Hall is the Heritage House, an example
of early 20th century design. Heritage House used to have a history
room for the storage of special collections since 1984. Now it
is a home for the Town's emergency radio club.
Photo courtesy of Ralston
LAHHS offers programs free and open to the public, featuring
guest speakers on topics of local history. They are held Sundays
from 3-5 p.m. at the Los Altos Hills Town Hall.
Los Altos Hills Town Hall
26379 Fremont Road
Los Altos Hills, California.
Please visit our web site page www.losaltoshillshistory.org/Events/
for upcoming events.
President: Martin Bernstein
Treasurer: Les Earnest
Web Manager: Lana Ralston
of Westwind Community Barn
Altos History Museum
Center of Mountain View Library
View Historical Association
the Rengstorff House
Historical Society and Museum
County History Museum
History of Woodside
History of Portola Valley
of the California Pioneers of Santa Clara County
Society of Pacific Grove